Thursday, June 2, 2011

Blowing My Top

I blew my top. I did. I was on the phone with customer service for a particular company. I had been told and agreed to a certain price for their services. The company then called me and informed me that I would be at a different price point. I calmly said that this was not the price I had agreed to and that I expected to be given the original price. After many transfers and after being hung up on and after calling back and being transferred and being hung up on and then calling back, I had finally had all I could take. The next person that answered the phone refused to connect me to a supervisor and I unleashed all of my pent up anger. No cussing. No name calling. Just extreme yelling.

Is it right? Is it wrong? Not sure. Maybe I don’t want to be sure. Did the person on the other end of the line know I represent Christ? No. So, I’m safe, right? No. Did I sin? No. At least not technically; I was just mad and yelling. On the other hand, I did not do anything to help out that person’s day.

Paul warns, “In your anger do not sin,” (Ephesians 4:26 NIV). The question then arises, what constitutes sin? There are some obvious answers: foul language and causing physical harm to someone else being among those sins. Then Paul goes on, “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” (Eph 4:29-32 NIV)

All in all, my anger got the best of me. I should have reacted differently…more calmly. Most of us have been in a similar situation and perhaps your anger got the best of you as well. I pray that if I am ever in the same circumstance that I will take a moment to breathe before flying off the handle. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment